Talking to developers about C#, they find it most simple, compatible, dynamic, and object-oriented programming language. Learning c# is very easy, if one knows about Java or C++.
However, many may think completely the other way round. Probably they are not aware with its facts and features, or they have some misconceptions.
Before we get on to understand what it is, let us take a quick look what are the widely presumed misconceptions about C# that has restricted many developers from using this language-
- “It is only Microsoft’s property”- Well answer to this is no! Microsoft did developed it, but ECMA and ISO approved it.
- “It can only run in Windows”- This fact is not true. As it is Common Language Infrastructure, it can function on any platform.
- “It runs efficiently on Windows and not on Linux “- The C# compiler is not specifically designed for Windows, but for other versions as well like Linux. Thus, it can run efficiently on all operating systems.
Reading the afore-mentioned points it is quite clear that there are no grounds of it but are mere myths.
Now once we are clear with C# myths, let us now get started to read about it and its advantages.
What is C# (C sharp)?
C# is an object oriented programming language designed for the Common Language Infrastructure (CLI). It is most simple, yet an effective programming language including strong typing feature.
Different versions of C#
C# helps to build a safe and robust application on .NET framework, which is why this language is dearest to developers. Following are few other advantages of this language that states its importance for developers-
Advantages of C#-
- C# 1.0
- C# 1.2
- C# 2.0
- C# 3.0
- C# 4.0
- C# 5.0
- C# 6.0
- C# is simple to understand and easy to learn language
- No need of COM plumbing or registry lookups because namespace and classes can easily be imported in this language.
- Its syntax are easy as compared to other languages like C++
- Operator overloading function can easily be applied in it, which is not there in VB.NET
- Access to memory directly is possible in it
- Nested classes can easily be derived in this language, which is allowed in C and C++
- The biggest advantage of this language is it support reflection mechanism
- C# can easily be used in conjunction with .NET language